Our government has designated September as “National Preparedness Month“. This contrasts with the FBI’s profiling preppers as potential terrorists. I imagine the message is “be prepared”, but don’t be too prepared. We still want you dependent upon the government, so don’t become independent! 😉
1) Medical skills – is your CPR/AED/First Aid training up to date? Do you have a plan for “Collapse Medicine“? Are aware that fish antibiotics are the same antibiotics used for people? [I am not a doctor, so don’t take this as medical advice] Do you have an Israeli battle dressing and know how to apply it?
2) Security – when was the last time you went to the gun range and practiced clearing a misfire?
3) Water – have you actually tried those Katadyn water purification tablets?
4) Fire – sure, you have three different methods to start a fire, but how many have you actually tried in your back yard or at the camp site?
5) Power – Have you tried out that solar power setup and deep cycle batteries to provide power to part of your house?
6) Cooking – What would happen if all power and natural gas were cut off to your house? Have you started that camping stove you bought 5 years ago? Do you have recipes using all those stores of beans and rice?
7) Growing Food – Even if you are in an apartment, growing food at least a little food is a valuable skill. What have you grown this season? What do you plan to grow next season?
Those are my ideas and suggestion for skill building. What are you doing?