As promised, this is my post about my expanded Travel EDC. It seems the more I travel, the more I think I need when on the road. I am finding there is a fine balance between having what you think you might need in an emergency, and just packing your whole Get Home Bag in my luggage and checking it at the airport. The contents of this are pretty personal to me, and cover most of the areas I would need when on the road. Items not represented, that I am sure many readers will notice such as a “container for water” are intentionally left out, as, these items add additional bulk when traveling are are readily available at the local drug store, convenient store, etc. For instance, one of the first things I will do after getting off the plane is to buy a couple bottles of water. This covers carrying water for a short period, gives me a container to purify it in, etc.
So, below is a picture of my Travel EDC to date with corresponding numbers in the list below outlining what and why…
- Qty 5 – Zipties
- Knife Sharpener
- Disposable Lighter
- Leatherman Wave
- Folding Knife (to be replaced with the Ridge Runner Assist Folding Rescue Knife because it has a glass break spike and seat belt cutter. I figure if I am on the road, this might come in handier in an emergency than the plain folding knife.
- 9 LED flashlight (takes three AAA batteries)
- Iodine Water Purification Tablets – I replace the package once a year as they are exposed to extreme heat and cold due to travel.
- Mosquito Repellent – 100% Deet. Also flammable and can be used to start a fire.
- Emergency Mylar Blanket, with opposite side in orange.
- 1/4 roll of toilet paper.
- Purel Hand Sanitizer – Also flammable and can be used to start a fire
- Homemade Altoid Survival Kit – Check it out here for the contents.
- Headlamp flashlight (clips to baseball cap)
- Emergency Mirror
- Several feet of Ace bandage wrap (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Gerber Paraframe Mini knife (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Fingernail Clipper (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Duct Tape – 10 Feet (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Cotton Balls (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Triple Antibiotic (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Superglue (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Cortisone Cream (added to the REI first aid kit)
- Carmex Lip Balm – Also Flammable – (added to the REI first aid kit)
- REI Day pack First Aid Kit
- Pack of Travel Tissues
- Fire Kit (firesteel, scrapper, etc) and small compass (I know it doesn’t belong in there, but I know where it is if I need it)
- Qty 2 – 55 Gallon Drum Liner – Can be used as makeshift shelter and/or rain poncho
- Mora Clipper Knife
- 50′ of Paracord.
- Not Pictured – Another Mora with ranger band, emergency needle, and another fire steel attached to the sheath
- Not Pictured – The plastic zipper pouch all of this gets contained in.
- New Addition – An emergency whistle.
Don’t forget to check out our sponsors and affiliates located to the right. They work hard to make sure the products you want are available when you want or need them for your preps.
Check out Suburban Survival Blog Daily.