The truth is, I have felt a bit naked and unprepared without the bag in my truck. I have been in NYC several times, the environment the bag was primarily designed for, as well as out and about in PA, and central NJ since it was stolen.
All of that said, I am planning on replacing the gear. I have made a preliminary list below for you to peruse, and be sure to let me know what you think.
- AM Heatsheets (Emergency Blankets) — Quantity 2 (already have, do not need to source)
- AM Sportsman Kit (First Aid Kit)
- Gerber Paraframe II Knife
- Gerber Profile Fixed Blade Knife Drop Point Knife
- Polar Pure
- Wetfire cubes (already have, do not need to source)
- Light Sticks
- Tarp (already have, do not need to source)
- Emergency Poncho (already have, and do not need to source)
- 5 in 1 Whistle
- Signal Mirror (already have, and do not need to source)
- Esbit Stove (already have, and do not need to source)
- 36 Hour Candle
- Paracord (50′)
- No Rinse Body Bath
- 100 MPH Tape
- Triple Antibiotic
- Kevlar Thread
- Sewing Needles
- Extra Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Imodium, Sudafed, Zyrtec, Vitamins, Roll of Toilet Paper, and other OTC pharmaceuticals.
- LED Flashlight
- Bic Lighter, Quantity 2
- Homemade fire starters
- Waterproof Strike Anywhere Matches (Home Made) (already have and do not need to source)
- Starbucks Instant Coffee
- Twinning’s Tea
- Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Space Saver Cup
- USGI Lensatic Compass
- Coleman Shovel / Pick
- Waterproof Notebook
- Rite in Rain Pen
- Work Gloves
- Hat and Gloves
- and Finally the Pack itself a Level III Assault Pack
Total cost of the Get Home Bag as priced on Amazon: 482.75 (give or take $50.00 — $75.00 for sourcing better deals on the items) This is probably within $75.00 of what I probably spent on the gear that went missing when it was stolen out of my truck. Much of the gear I had assembled over time and was redundant camping gear I had, but calculating the replacement prices this morning was a reality check to me. Sort of sucks, don’t you think? This varies greatly from the conversation that I had with my friend Doug, about the cost of what went missing… I was off by about $275.00. Shows you that you forget what you spend over time.
Some of this gear I already own today, and is redundant to what I have in my Bug Out Bag already, and has just been sitting around waiting for a use. Some of it I have to order. As you may gather, it is going to be some time before I order everything up I need. I’ll end up spending about $300.00 on gear. The question, I need to ask myself is. What of these items is ABSOLUTELY essential, and what can I do without to save money, and to still feel/be prepared to get home if I have to?
This was the preliminary list I put together this week… Next I make a futile call to Vista Parking to see where they got with the stolen items. I can tell you where, before I even call, but need to do the follow — up anyway…